Ava UMC is hiring a new worship leader for Sunday morning worship. Want to help build a community that expresses the rich tradition of faith in a modern way? Join the team!
If you have questions about this position, contact Matt Kerner (417-350-9806).
Modern Worship Leader Job Description
The Worship Team is responsible for working with the pastor to provide a worship experience that helps people connect with God.
The Worship Leader provides the primary musical leadership for the congregation, primarily for the modern worship service.
Status: Part-time, approximately 8-10 hours/week; Pay based upon experience.
Supervisor: Lead Pastor
- Is a fully devoted follower of Jesus Christ, committed to a Christ-centered lifestyle of continual spiritual growth.
- Is willing to be an active part of the Ava UMC community.
- Shows and earns respect as a leader and is able to work harmoniously with subordinates, peers, and congregants.
- Possesses effective leadership communication skills—oral, written, electronic and listening.
- Identifies, recruits, equips, trains & leads servants to excel in their ministry roles/responsibilities.
- Keeps and maintains confidentiality.
- Leads boldly to make the right things happen.
- Seeks continual improvement in ministry.
- Is positive in their attitude and relates well with people.
- Demonstrates high energy and productivity.
- Is a strategic thinker and aligns the use of their time with their ministry priorities.
- Has a sensitivity to the larger purposes of worship and the needs of a multigenerational worship community.
- Recognizes that music serves to help the church both proclaim and respond to the truth of God.
- Seeks to move worshipers from the role of audience to the role of active participants.
- Understands that the gospel invites a variety of emotions and reflects those responses in musical selections.
- Understands the importance of traditional worship and how new songs and arrangements can coexist and breathe new life into historic music.
- Is able to lead congregational music both vocally and instrumentally (ideally with piano and/or guitar).
- Stays current with modern worship trends and music.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Recruit, train, schedule, resource and rehearse a diverse group of people to serve as musicians (both vocal and instrumental) who provide high quality music to lead the congregation in worship.
- Lead in congregational singing both vocally and instrumentally or arrange for volunteers to provide this leadership.
- Provide leadership for musical groups within the church.
- Select music for worship (both hymns and modern songs) collaboratively with the worship team.
- Actively participate in worship planning with the worship team.
- Regularly introduce and teach new music to both musicians and the congregation.
- Plan training for musicians to improve their ability to lead in worship.
- Prepare music, charts, and projection lyrics for the band and congregation.
To apply for this position, submit a resume and cover letter: